With over 67 million sites using WordPress these days, WordPress is the most popular blog hosting system in use. The good news about WordPress is that the platform makes it easy to optimize your site for search engines.
You don’t need to be a technical wizard to make your site searchable and accessible. However, getting your site seen on search engines will take some effort on your end. To help you out I have outlined eight different tips to help you optimize your WordPress website.
On Site SEO Tips
1) Consider using a responsive design theme. Responsive design makes your site more accessible to phone and tablet users. In addition, Google values responsive design and will boost your search page result rankings for implementing a responsive theme.
2) Download an SEO Plugin. There are a number of fantastic and free SEO plugins for WordPress sites. Popular plugins include WordPress SEO By Yoast and All in One SEO Pack. These plugins make it easier to optimize your WordPress site. They will help you configure your settings for SEO and make it easier to customize your titles and meta descriptions.
3) Use optimized categories. When writing blog posts you should use categories that relate to your targeted keywords. WordPress can include those categories in your URL structure in the following format: www.domain-name/cateogry/post-title. The more optimized your category, the better.
4) Use keywords for title tags. Title tags are one of the most important aspects of SEO. When writing a title for your blog post, try to incorporate a keyword that you’d like the post to rank for. WordPress will include the title in the URL (www.domain-name/cateogry/post-title) and having a keyword will help to boost your search engine rankings.
5) Write blog posts often. It’s important to keep your blog updated with fresh and compelling content. Your posts should be focused on the industry that you’re in or the products that you’re trying to sell.
6) Optimize your images. When uploading images to WordPress, make sure that you include a keyword in your alt text. The alt text will help your image rank well in image searches. Additionally you should also make sure that your image doesn’t include a link. An image link will leave users at a dead end on your site and could cause them to leave.
7) Use H2 and H3 tags. Using header tags will not only break up your content for users, it can also benefit your rankings in search. Try adding keywords to your headers if possible.
8) Bold key phrases or words. Search engines read bolded text as more important or weighty than plain text. By bolding a key phrase, you call attention to it. However, it’s important to be sparing whenever you’re bolding or adding keywords to title tags. Too much optimizing can feel spammy to users and may not benefit your site in conversions.
Photo License: seoplanter